Sunday 16 March 2008


The Tree, what is it all about it! Well, just recently, I had this metaphoric tree popping in and out of my head! I knew about this Tree and had heard about it a long time ago several times when i was younger by my grandpa but I never really understood what it ment or what he was trying to instill in me. Even though it kept popping in and out of my thoughts, I was unsure of the ending, I wanted to talk to my grandpa about this tree again, I knew he would know the answer and tell me this wonderful metaphor. Last night my Grandpa called and I was like YES!!! I will find the answer. You know the feeling when you have those dreams that you can never find the ending to until maybe a week, a month, a year, a life time later! I realise what this tree was now and will never forget it again! On the contrary i want to share the beauty of this tree with you all!, through this short story I made up as I went along.

So for me the tree was a mango tree.......so if you can imagine a Mango Tree, please do so if not any Fruit Tree will be sufficient for your fruit this story.

So one day this little boy was walking home from school in the hot mid-summer sun when suddenly he walks past his favourite fruit tree a Mango Tree! He was so excited because he always loved to have a refreshing mango after school, to get some juices from the earth to keep him going for some homework or some playing around on his bike or with his friends before dinner time. This year though he had been noticing that, the Tree had hardly any fruit from it and that by mid summer it had normally dropped most of the mango for the peoples pleasure. He wondered the rest of the way home thinking what was wrong with the tree, maybe it hadn't had enough water, maybe it wasn't happy, maybe it was sick, maybe it was just dieing, maybe it didn't want to drop the fruit anymore........

The next day, he walked passed, not one fruit. The next day the same thing, the next week still no fruit. In one month the summer would be over and the mango tree at the end of the street would not have dropped one mango all summer! At this point the little boy, goes to his grandpa and tells him about what had been occurring with the Mango Tree and he was wondering if maybe his grandpa would know what was wrong with it!

So his Grandpa, thinks for a while.....Tells him to come and sit on his Lap and he will explain what is wrong with the tree. "So, this tree of yours hasn't dropped any fruit this year?", I said "Yeh, no fruit all summer, i think it's sick or its just dieing"

He looked into my eyes and said " Yes you could say that the tree is dieing when it starts to behave like that, just make sure that you never become like that tree".

"What? I would never become a tree!"

He starts to laugh and replied " No not like the tree with leaves and fruit, just make sure you always drop your fruit"

"Drop my fruit, what does that mean?, I never had fruit, never will"

"Of course you have fruit, we all have fruit, just make sure that whenever your grow up you continually, drop your fruit for others to enjoy. You are the like the beautiful tree, that has the these fruits for others to enjoy, the green leaves to shade and protect them from the hot summer sun, to drop your fruit is a bounty that has a blessing we never understand straight away. Just promise me you will always drop your fruit, whenever you get some, oh make sure they are rip before you drop them though...Promise?"

"aahh, ok, Grandpa i promise but i don't get it....but because you said i have to drop my fruit, i promise, i will drop my fruit when i get any." With a slight smile and a giggle the conversation ends. I go back outside, walk to that mango tree, look at it and think, you are naughty, I am going to drop my fruit when i get some, because grandpa said thats the right thing to do and your just not doing the right thing.

The END

So after reading my little short story, I was wondering if you got the metaphor behind it.....I am not sure if it was that clear or if i should tell you now or let you realise it for yourself? I think, i am going to make you contemplate about your tree for a while, if you really get stuck FB me or email and if you like i will tell you the hidden meaning behind it.

One HINT though, Humility has a big part to play!


Posted by Posted by P.R.A.loveslife at 6:35 am
Categories:

 

0 comments:

 
>